Studentships such as ICRAR’s are an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students to experience cutting edge research in Australia. If you are interested in a Summer Studentship with ICRAR, we welcome your application. The purpose of the studentship is to give you research experience and for you to see what the ICRAR PhD study pathway has to offer for you.
This year’s studentships will run from 23rd November 2020 until 12th February 2021. Applications close 5pm AWST 21st August 2020.
Selected undergraduate students (preference to 3rd, 4th year, and honours students) from Australia and New Zealand will receive up to $7,600 over the 12 week internship (10 weeks work and a two week paid Christmas break). Applicants not from Western Australia will also receive one return airfare to Perth from their home city. Accommodation can be organised by ICRAR and will be subsidised by up to 50%.
Our programme targets undergraduates in their third years, however Honours and Masters students may also apply and will be given due consideration. We have two priority places for Indigenous students, one at each node of ICRAR.
Projects will be available in astronomy, radio astronomy engineering and data intensive astronomy. Some of the projects have a computational focus and use Pawsey Supercomputing Centre infrastructure. Successful students will be assigned a project that interests them based on their preferences from an extensive list of projects over many topics in astronomy, astronomy computing or radio astronomy engineering.
The successful applicants are expected to begin in late November and work for 10 weeks (not including a two-week Christmas break) through to February the following year.
Any questions about the studentship program or application procedures can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and Equity
ICRAR is committed to creating a working environment and culture that is inclusive and provides equal opportunities, irrespective of race, gender, age, sexual orientation, culture and origin. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to an excellent workplace. We are committed to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander reconciliation, diversity and social justice and aim to create an inclusive environment where our staff and students are valued and inspired. This includes a supportive recruitment process should you require any access assistance.
We appreciate the experiences, skills and perspectives of all individuals and harness a collaborative environment. We actively encourage applications from people from diverse backgrounds, and we encourage flexible working hours in consultation with your supervisor/s.
COVID-19 & WA borders
We will be accepting applications from students enrolled in universities Australia-wide and in New Zealand. At the moment quarantine on entry to WA is required, so please bear that in mind when applying. We hope that by late November there will be no requirement for quarantine in either direction, but if quarantine is in place it will be at your own expense.
We will work with you for your individual circumstances as much as we can.
A list of projects is available to browse. We will ask you to select up to three projects you’re interested in, and will use that information to inform our selection process and to work with successful students to match them with a project that suits their interests and skills.
Applications are open until 21st August 2020.
All applications must include:
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Official Academic Transcript
- Details of your two Academic Referees (who need to submit their reference form by the deadline)
As part of the application process you will be asked to select your top three projects. We will have a project for almost any area of interest, and will work with successful candidates to ensure they have the best experience possible in the internship.
Please ask that your two academic referees complete the reference form. ICRAR will not chase late references and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Successful students will be contacted by early September.
Evaluation and selection will be based on:
- Student qualification and past performance.
- Student motivation and expected benefit.
We also have two priority places for Indigenous students, one at each node of ICRAR.
- July: Applications open
- August 21st: Applications Close
- September: Offers completed
- November 23rd: Studentships begin
- TBC: Pawsey Centre studentship orientation
- December (early): Initial presentation day
- Christmas Break
- February 2021 (early): Final presentation day
- February 12th 2021:Report due & studentships end
- Applicants must be undergraduate students (preference will be given to 3rd year and above, including honours, but all currently enrolled students are welcome to apply). Students who have not completed an honours year, but are enrolled in a coursework masters in astronomy are also eligible to apply.
- Internships will run for approximately 10 weeks of work during the period late November 2020 to February 2021, although dates for the internships are negotiable. Students are expected to start on the first day of the studentship program unless extenuating circumstances apply.
- The studentship is for up to $7,600 per student, paid in fortnightly instalments for the duration of the studentship, including over the two-week Christmas break (10 weeks total work, 12 weeks total pay).
- Applicants from outside WA will receive a return flight to Perth from their home city, as well as up to 50% accommodation subsidy from ICRAR. This is dependant on Western Australia’s border restrictions.
- There may be a mandatory one-week induction with the Pawsey Centre in the first week for most students.
- Students must be studying at an Australian or New Zealand educational institution and not have held an internship with ICRAR in the past.
- Students will write a final report and give a presentation on their work at the conclusion of the project. There may be other requirements which will be made clear to students throughout the program.
- Students will be expected to maintain a high level of attendance throughout the duration of the internship and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.