Applications for the 2014 Studentship program will open in early August.
Studentships such as ICRAR's are an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students to experience cutting edge research in Australia. If you are interested in a Summer Studentship with ICRAR, we welcome your application.
In 2014 selected undergraduate students (preference to 3rd, 4th year, and honours students) from Australia and New Zealand will receive up to $6,000 over the 10 week internship. Applicants not from Western Australia will also receive one return airfare to Perth from their home city. Accommodation can be organised by ICRAR and will be subsidised by up to 50%.
Details of the available projects (including detailed project proposals) are available on the 2014 Project Descriptions page (coming soon). Four of the eight internships available are offered jointly with iVEC for projects with a computational focus.
The successful applicants are expected to begin in late November and work for 10 weeks (not including a two-week Christmas break) through to February 2015.
Applications for 2014 will open in early August and will be due by COB Friday the 5th of September.
All applications must include:
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Official Academic Transcript
- Two Academic References
As part of the application process you will be asked what projects you would prefer - a list of projects on offer this summer can be found on the 2014 Project Descriptions page (coming soon).
Please ask that your two academic referees email a reference to email@example.com by September 5th. ICRAR will not chase late references and incomplete applications won't be considered.
Successful students will be contacted by mid September.
Evaluation and selection will be based on:
- Student qualification and past performance.
- Student motivation and expected benefit.
- August: Applications open
- September 5th: Applications Close
- September 19th: Offers completed
- November 24th: Studentships begin
- November ??: iVEC studentship orientation
- December 22nd-January 5th: Christmas Break
- Week of February 9th: Final presentations
- February ??: iVEC Final presentation day
- February 13th: Studentships end
- Applicants must be undergraduate students (preference will be given to 3rd year and above, including honours, but all currently enrolled students are welcome to apply).
- Internships will run for approximately 10 weeks of work during the period November 2014 to February 2015, although dates for the internships are negotiable. Students are expected to start on the 24th of November.
- The studentship is for up to $6,000 per student, paid in weekly installments of $500 for the duration of the studentship, including over the two week Christmas break (10 weeks total work, 12 weeks total pay).
- Applicants from outside WA will receive a return flight to Perth from their home city, as well as up to 50% accommodation subsidy from ICRAR.
- For ICRAR/iVEC projects there will be a mandatory one-week induction with iVEC in the first week.
- Students must be studying at an Australian or New Zealand educational institution and not have held an internship with ICRAR in the past.
- Students will write a final report and give an oral presentation on their work at the conclusion of the project. ICRAR/iVEC students are also expected to submit a podcast describing their work.
- Students will be expected to maintain a high level of attendance throughout the duration of the internship and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.