Applications for the 2015 Studentship program are now open. Applications will close on September 4th, and applicants will be notified of the results by the end of September.
Studentships such as ICRAR's are an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students to experience cutting edge research in Australia. If you are interested in a Summer Studentship with ICRAR, we welcome your application.
In 2015 selected undergraduate students (preference to 3rd, 4th year, and honours students) from Australia and New Zealand will receive up to $6,000 over the 12 week internship (10 weeks work and a two week paid Christmas break). Applicants not from Western Australia will also receive one return airfare to Perth from their home city. Accommodation can be organised by ICRAR and will be subsidised by up to 50%.
Projects will be available in astronomy, radio astronomy engineering and data intensive astronomy. Four of the eight internships available are offered jointly with the Pawsey Centre for projects with a computational focus. Successful students will choose a project that interests them from an extensive list of projects over many topics in astronomy, astronomy computing or radio astronomy engineering (see a preview of the projects available).
The successful applicants are expected to begin in early December and work for 10 weeks (not including a two-week Christmas break) through to February 2015.
Any questions about the studentship program or application procedures can be sent to email@example.com.
Applications for 2015 are due by COB Friday the 4th of September.
All applications must include:
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Official Academic Transcript
- Two Academic References
As part of the application process you will be asked what subject areas you're interested in for your internship, successful applicants will then have the opportunity to select an interesting project within their nominated areas of interest. We will have a project for almost any area of interest, and will work with successful candidates to ensure they have the best experience possible in the internship. You can also choose to give us project preferences in your application, but this is optional.
Please ask that your two academic referees email a reference to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 4th. ICRAR will not chase late references and incomplete applications won't be considered.
Successful students will be contacted by mid September.
Evaluation and selection will be based on:
- Student qualification and past performance.
- Student motivation and expected benefit.
- August: Applications open
- September 4th: Applications Close
- September 23rd: Offers completed
- November 30th: Studentships begin
- November 30th-December 4th: Pawsey Centre studentship orientation
- December 21st-January 4th: Christmas Break
- Week of February 8th: ICRAR Final presentations
- Week of February 8th: Pawsey Centre Final presentation day
- February 19th: Studentships end
- Applicants must be undergraduate students (preference will be given to 3rd year and above, including honours, but all currently enrolled students are welcome to apply).
- Internships will run for approximately 10 weeks of work during the period late November 2015 to February 2016, although dates for the internships are negotiable. Students are expected to start on the 30th of November.
- The studentship is for up to $6,000 per student, paid in weekly installments of $500 for the duration of the studentship, including over the two week Christmas break (10 weeks total work, 12 weeks total pay).
- Applicants from outside WA will receive a return flight to Perth from their home city, as well as up to 50% accommodation subsidy from ICRAR.
- For ICRAR/Pawsey Centre projects there will be a mandatory one-week induction with the Pawsey Centre in the first week.
- Students must be studying at an Australian or New Zealand educational institution and not have held an internship with ICRAR in the past.
- Students will write a final report and give an oral presentation on their work at the conclusion of the project. ICRAR/Pawsey Centre students are also expected to submit a podcast describing their work.
- Students will be expected to maintain a high level of attendance throughout the duration of the internship and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.