Applications for the 2013 Studentship program have now closed. All applicants will be contacted by late September with results. See below for the archived application and studentship details.
Studentships such as ICRAR's are an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students to experience cutting edge research in Australia. If you are interested in a Summer Studentship with ICRAR, we welcome your application.
In 2013 selected undergraduate students (3rd and 4th year and honours students) from Australia and New Zealand will receive up to $6,000 over the 10 week internship. Applicants not from Western Australia will also receive one return airfare to Perth from their home city. Accommodation can be organised by ICRAR and will be subsidised by up to 50%.
Details of the available projects (including detailed project proposals) are available on the 2013 Project Descriptions page. Four of the eight internships available are offered jointly with iVEC for projects with a computational focus.
The successful applicants are expected to begin in early December and work for 10 weeks (not including Christmas break) through to February 2014.
Applications for 2013 have closed. They were due by COB September 2nd 2013.
All applications must include:
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Official Academic Transcript
- Two Academic References
As part of the application process you will be asked what projects you would prefer - a list of projects on offer this summer can be found on the 2013 Project Descriptions page
Please ask that your two academic referees email a reference to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 2nd. ICRAR will not chase late references and incomplete applications won't be considered.
Successful students will be contacted by late September.
Evaluation and selection will be based on:
- Student qualification and past performance
- Student motivation and expected benefit
- August: Applications open
- September 2nd: Applications Close
- September 30th: Offers completed
- December 2nd: Studentships begin
- December 2-6th: iVEC studentship orientation
- December 23rd-January 5th: Christmas Break
- Week of February 17th: Final presentations
- February 20th: iVEC Final presentation day
- February 21st: Studentships end
- Applicants must be undergraduate students (3rd year and above, including honours).
- Internships will run for approximately 10 weeks during the period December 2013 to February 2014, although dates for the internships are negotiable. Students are expected to start on the 2nd of December.
- The studentship is for up to $6,000 per student, paid in weekly installments of $500 for the duration of the studentship, with a final payment of $1,000 made when the final project report is submitted.
- Applicants from outside WA will receive a return flight to Perth from their home city, as well as up to 50% accommodation subsidy from ICRAR.
- For ICRAR/iVEC projects there will be a mandatory one-week induction with iVEC in the first week.
- Students must be studying at an Australian or New Zealand educational institution and not have held an internship with ICRAR in the past.
- Students will write a final report and give an oral presentation on their work at the conclusion of the project. ICRAR/iVEC students are also expected to submit a podcast describing their work.
- Students will be expected to maintain a high level of attendance throughout the duration of the internship and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.