An astronomically awesome event!
Preregister for Astrofest by Thursday March 6th for your chance to win a pair of binoculars from Tasco Australia.
Saturday, March 8th 2014: 5:30-9:30pm.
Curtin Stadium and Edinburgh Oval, Curtin University, Bentley.
PDF Flyer | PDF Poster | PDF Map | Location on Google Maps
This astronomy festival of epic proportions will be an engaging celebration of Australian science. As well as optical and radio telescopes observing throughout the day and night, Astrofest will feature a myriad of interesting, engaging and exciting indoor and outdoor activities for the whole family. You can also take a look through some of WA’s biggest telescopes.
Get involved by entering your astrophotos in the Astrophotography Competition.
Event enquiries welcome, either via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 08 6488 7771.
With telescope observing throughout the evening, Astrofest activities will also include:
- Solar observing from 4:30pm
- Model of the Square Kilometre Array telescope
- Scitech Space Domes and Science Shows
- Solar System walk
- Guest speakers
- Radio astronomy
- Info stalls and hands-on activities
...and enter to win an 8” Dobsonian Skywatcher telescope thanks to Binocular Telescope Optical World in Malaga.
- 4:30pm: Solar observing starts for early arrivals
- 5:30pm: Astrofest begins!
- 6:00pm: Welcome and prize draw from the preregistration
- 6:10pm: Meteorites and Mars Talk - Dr Gretchen Benedix, Curtin University (Stadium Stage)
- 6:10pm: Telescopes 101 - Brian Sture, AGWA (Oval)
- 6:45pm: Sunset
- 7:00pm: Night sky observing begins
- 7:00pm: Scitech Science show (Stadium Stage)
- 7:30pm: Indigenous astronomy talk, Dr Ray Norris, CSIRO (Stadium Stage)
- 7:45pm: Night Sky Tour (Oval)
- 8:00pm: Scitech Science Show (Stadium Stage)
- 8:00pm: Twilight ends
- 8:30pm: Complex molecules in space - can we make beer out of them? - Dr Andrew Walsh, ICRAR (Stadium Stage)
- 8:30pm: Night Sky Tour (Oval)
- 9:00pm: Main competition draw and announcement of Astrophotography Competition prizes (Stadium Stage)
- 9:15pm: Night Sky Tour (Oval)
- 9:30pm: Astrofest ends, see you in 2015!
Astrofest 2014 is proudly supported by: